Which sounds more enjoyable - going on a journey with close friends or going solo? There are probably many who would defend both sides of that question. For me, however, I'd much rather set off on an adventure with someone to share in my quest. I believe it enhances the fun, the observations I make along the way and the depth to which that journey takes me and endures in my memories. Together, the challenges don't seem quite as fierce or insurmountable and the mountaintops take on even more color and brilliance because the joy is compounded.

In a similar way, my walk with God deepens when I share what I'm learning with others and in return, hear what God is revealing to them. It reminds me I'm not alone - both in the celebration of God's amazing attributes and in the doubt and worry that plague humanity.

I want this to be a sacred place where I can share what God is teaching me and hear from others who want nothing more than to know God personally. So, I welcome you to this site. Read. Comment. Question. Teach. For in doing this journey of faith in Jesus Christ together, I believe we gain the opportunity to know Him more fully and leave a little bit more conformed to His Image.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

How do we know what love is?

1 John 3:16 - This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down His life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers.

What does it mean?
  • Jesus modeled love for us so we would know and understand what love looks like/ how it's played out in our lives.
  • My love for others should rise up out of this truth -- that God laid His life down for me when I was a SINNER! A sinner! Not His best friend or family member, but someone who hated Him and opposed all things godly. He died for that version of me so I could one day accept Him.
  • This verse tells us He laid down His LIFE; my actual life's blood may or may not be required of me for a brother, but then how much more should I be able to lay down my pride, my title, my "rights", my finances, my time, my care, my prayers, my expectations, my ___(fill in the blank)___ for my brothers (the word "brothers" means fellow Christians)?
What does it mean to me?
  • How have I laid down my life for my brother/ sister so far this week?
  • What ways are easier and then more difficult for me to lay down my life? Pick one to work on this week.
  • When's the last time I thanked You, Jesus, for laying down Your life for me?

No comments: