Which sounds more enjoyable - going on a journey with close friends or going solo? There are probably many who would defend both sides of that question. For me, however, I'd much rather set off on an adventure with someone to share in my quest. I believe it enhances the fun, the observations I make along the way and the depth to which that journey takes me and endures in my memories. Together, the challenges don't seem quite as fierce or insurmountable and the mountaintops take on even more color and brilliance because the joy is compounded.

In a similar way, my walk with God deepens when I share what I'm learning with others and in return, hear what God is revealing to them. It reminds me I'm not alone - both in the celebration of God's amazing attributes and in the doubt and worry that plague humanity.

I want this to be a sacred place where I can share what God is teaching me and hear from others who want nothing more than to know God personally. So, I welcome you to this site. Read. Comment. Question. Teach. For in doing this journey of faith in Jesus Christ together, I believe we gain the opportunity to know Him more fully and leave a little bit more conformed to His Image.

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

FAITH

“By faith Enoch was taken from this life, so that he did not experience death; he could not be found, because God had taken him away. For before he was taken, he was commended as one who pleased God.” ~ Hebrews 11:5

There are four truths that immediately jump out to me in this verse:
1.) Faith leads to extraordinary things in this life.
2.) Faith pleases God
3.) Like Enoch and his faith, we are all known for something.
4.) History will repeat itself when at Jesus’ second coming, believers because of their faith will once again be taken to heaven without experiencing death (1 Thessalonians 4:13-18).

These truths cause me to examine my own walk of faith. What extraordinary places has God taken you and I on our journey of faith? What has God done that is bigger than you could have ever dreamed of, or different than anything you would have expected for your life? Is your life GOD-SIZED or you-sized? If you were to ask God right now, would He say that you have a faith that pleases Him? Are you praying expectantly, trusting without reservation and attempting the impossible? Are you seeing mountains moved and miracles preformed? If not, why not? Is it because we actually don’t expect Him to move? Are we living in such a controlled environment that there’s actually no place for God to work? I know I’m guilty of that and I want more! Lord, increase my faith! Help me break out of my comfortable four walls and hide in the cleft of the rock like Moses did when he got to see the backside of your glory. Help me have the faith of Elijah who called down your fire to prove to an unbelieving world that YOU alone are God. Help me surrender like Abraham who by faith left his home to journey to a land you would show him (key word – would – God did not map out his life for him and then ask Abraham if he wanted on board). Give me the willingness of Joshua who obeyed seemingly crazy commands (i.e. – walking around the walls of Jericho blowing trumpets) in order to see you tear down strongholds in my life and win battles I couldn’t dream of fighting alone.

What will you and I be known for when we are face-to-face with Jesus? Quite a question to ponder today...

No comments: