Which sounds more enjoyable - going on a journey with close friends or going solo? There are probably many who would defend both sides of that question. For me, however, I'd much rather set off on an adventure with someone to share in my quest. I believe it enhances the fun, the observations I make along the way and the depth to which that journey takes me and endures in my memories. Together, the challenges don't seem quite as fierce or insurmountable and the mountaintops take on even more color and brilliance because the joy is compounded.

In a similar way, my walk with God deepens when I share what I'm learning with others and in return, hear what God is revealing to them. It reminds me I'm not alone - both in the celebration of God's amazing attributes and in the doubt and worry that plague humanity.

I want this to be a sacred place where I can share what God is teaching me and hear from others who want nothing more than to know God personally. So, I welcome you to this site. Read. Comment. Question. Teach. For in doing this journey of faith in Jesus Christ together, I believe we gain the opportunity to know Him more fully and leave a little bit more conformed to His Image.

Thursday, June 17, 2010

For HIS Name’s Sake

“He saved them for His name’s sake, that He might make His mighty power known.” Psalm 106:8

Have you ever wondered why God saved you? The obvious answer is because He loves you. From the song some of us learned growing up - “Jesus loves me, this I know…” - to the most well-known verse in the Bible - “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life” (John 3:16) - we have reminders and evidence that God saved us because of His great love for us. But if we stop there, I wonder if we’re in danger of having an egocentric view of our salvation? He also saved us for His name’s sake and to make His mighty power known. Our salvation is proof of His supreme authority! The same power that raised Jesus from the dead is at work to radically transform and revive dead hearts (think of the Apostle Paul from the New Testament and think of your own conversion!). Jesus, who took upon Himself the sin of all mankind for all eternity defeated both sin and death and covered you with His blood when you asked Him to be Lord and Savior of your life. God’s wrath toward us is now satisfied because of that blood. And now, as children of God we are light in this dark world, displaying His majesty and power and love and authority. What a privilege! We are image bearers of the King of kings and Lord of lords. We are His ambassadors to this world.

So my question to you today is, how is God using the testimony of your salvation (Webster’s Dictionary defines testimony as “a public profession of a religious experience”) for His name’s sake and to make His mighty power known to those around you?

No comments: