Which sounds more enjoyable - going on a journey with close friends or going solo? There are probably many who would defend both sides of that question. For me, however, I'd much rather set off on an adventure with someone to share in my quest. I believe it enhances the fun, the observations I make along the way and the depth to which that journey takes me and endures in my memories. Together, the challenges don't seem quite as fierce or insurmountable and the mountaintops take on even more color and brilliance because the joy is compounded.

In a similar way, my walk with God deepens when I share what I'm learning with others and in return, hear what God is revealing to them. It reminds me I'm not alone - both in the celebration of God's amazing attributes and in the doubt and worry that plague humanity.

I want this to be a sacred place where I can share what God is teaching me and hear from others who want nothing more than to know God personally. So, I welcome you to this site. Read. Comment. Question. Teach. For in doing this journey of faith in Jesus Christ together, I believe we gain the opportunity to know Him more fully and leave a little bit more conformed to His Image.

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

God Keeps Track

“Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.” Colossians 3: 23-24

The Lord comforted my heart greatly with this verse tonight. Do you have people in your life that it seems no matter how hard you work to please or serve them, it’s just not good enough? Or perhaps you feel your service goes unnoticed? Have you bent over backwards recently to care for your children, to serve your husband, to tirelessly finish a deadline for work, to reach out to a friend in need – only to receive criticism, a roll of the eyes, a cold shoulder or just a lack of appreciation? I love this verse because it reminds us WHO we’re ultimately serving in any one of these instances. And guess what? Our Heavenly Father’s eyes are on us at all times. When your kids take you for granted, HE is the one left smiling with an appreciative heart. When you and your husband just can’t seem to get on the same page, HE is the One who understands. When the time and effort you put into that project at work goes unnoticed, HE is the one who notices. When your friend in need doesn’t respond to your attempts to help, HE is the One who saw how hard you tried. Nothing, absolutely nothing, escapes His all-seeing eye and did you happen to see the promise in that verse? “You will receive an inheritance form the Lord as a reward.”

People are flawed; we are flawed! As long as we are around people we are going to run into these kinds of situations. And I believe God knew that and knew that we needed this perspective in our service. No matter how we’re treated here on earth – good or bad – our focus should be on the One – the Lord Christ - we’re ultimately serving through these everyday relationships. God keeps track and He doesn’t miss a thing!

1 comment:

Jen said...

I really needed this today. Thank you for the reminder, friend! :)