Which sounds more enjoyable - going on a journey with close friends or going solo? There are probably many who would defend both sides of that question. For me, however, I'd much rather set off on an adventure with someone to share in my quest. I believe it enhances the fun, the observations I make along the way and the depth to which that journey takes me and endures in my memories. Together, the challenges don't seem quite as fierce or insurmountable and the mountaintops take on even more color and brilliance because the joy is compounded.

In a similar way, my walk with God deepens when I share what I'm learning with others and in return, hear what God is revealing to them. It reminds me I'm not alone - both in the celebration of God's amazing attributes and in the doubt and worry that plague humanity.

I want this to be a sacred place where I can share what God is teaching me and hear from others who want nothing more than to know God personally. So, I welcome you to this site. Read. Comment. Question. Teach. For in doing this journey of faith in Jesus Christ together, I believe we gain the opportunity to know Him more fully and leave a little bit more conformed to His Image.

Monday, May 10, 2010

The Look of Love

“You who make mention of the Lord, do not keep silent.” Isaiah 62:6

When you are truly in love with someone, you can’t help but talk about them. It spills out of the overflow of your heart. You want the world to know how amazing they are and how happy you are to have them in your life. If you’ve ever seen the movie Elf (if you haven’t – promptly go out and rent it, even in the heat of summer!), the main character, Buddy, declares this statement loud and clear upon falling in love with the leading lady: “I’m in love, I’m in love, and I don’t care who knows it.” I ran into a grandmother this week that had a photo album of her beautiful new little granddaughter in her purse to show anyone who might have a spare moment. I also saw a billboard proposing words of love and marriage to a woman named Kelly. And my favorite moment this week was when the 3-year-old daughter of a dear friend of mine looked up at me and announced proudly in a public restaurant, “I love you Mimi” (my nick name). Love is not ashamed or timid; it is proud and demonstrative.

What if Jesus had not been willing to demonstrate His love for us by dying on a cross because He was ashamed of us, or embarrassed to call us His children? Just for a moment, let that thought – of life without Jesus – sink in. How do you feel? There is no loneliness or fear or evil like the thought of living without Jesus. So if we really call ourselves followers of Jesus and if we truly love Him, why then are we afraid to pray in public? Why are we uneasy that our friends, co-workers, neighbors or even family will find out we’re Christians? Why are we anxious about sharing what God’s Word says on an important issue that comes up? He gave His all – His reputation, His throne in heaven, His very blood and life’s breath – to show you He loves you and to show the world you were worth dying for. Who needs to hear of your love for Jesus this week? Let His sacrifice for you and example of demonstrative love empower you to share the “Good News.” (John 3:16)

No comments: