Which sounds more enjoyable - going on a journey with close friends or going solo? There are probably many who would defend both sides of that question. For me, however, I'd much rather set off on an adventure with someone to share in my quest. I believe it enhances the fun, the observations I make along the way and the depth to which that journey takes me and endures in my memories. Together, the challenges don't seem quite as fierce or insurmountable and the mountaintops take on even more color and brilliance because the joy is compounded.

In a similar way, my walk with God deepens when I share what I'm learning with others and in return, hear what God is revealing to them. It reminds me I'm not alone - both in the celebration of God's amazing attributes and in the doubt and worry that plague humanity.

I want this to be a sacred place where I can share what God is teaching me and hear from others who want nothing more than to know God personally. So, I welcome you to this site. Read. Comment. Question. Teach. For in doing this journey of faith in Jesus Christ together, I believe we gain the opportunity to know Him more fully and leave a little bit more conformed to His Image.

Sunday, May 30, 2010

A Voice in the Storm

“You have been a refuge for the poor, a refuge for the needy in his distress, a shelter from the storm and a shade from the heat.”
Isaiah 25:4

The night before last, we had a powerful storm rip through my town bringing with it an intense thunder and lightening show. It was beautiful. I laid in bed thoroughly enjoying the view out my window when about midnight, my cat jumped onto my bed scaring me half to death. As soon as she made it onto my bed she scrambled to burrow herself, facedown into the crook of my arm, cowering at each bolt of lightening and crash of thunder. I pet her and gently told her it was going to be ok. What she couldn’t know was that we were perfectly safe inside my apartment and it was interesting as I watched a pattern develop. When I stopped petting her and talking to her, she began to shiver again and I could see panic in her eyes. But as long as I was stroking her and soothing her with my voice, although the storm had not passed she was calm and able to rest.

I smiled thinking about how similar I am to my cat. A storm rolls into my life and I cower with anxiety and worry about what’s going to happen. My circumstances threaten me like intense bolts of lightening and the crashing thunder of doubt and fear can be deafening. Where do I turn? All I know is that when I am in the midst of a storm, if I can just be near Jesus, He puts me at rest. My situation may not change and the thunder and lightening may continue to make threats to overwhelm me, but the soothing voice of my God through His Word and His gentle touch put my heart at ease. With Him I am safe. He is in control. He sees the scope of my storm and is sovereign over it. His nearness is all I need.

What threatens to overwhelm you right now? James 4:8 says, “Draw near God and He will draw near to you.” Psalm 119:114 says, “You are my refuge and my shield; I have put my hope in your word.” Burrow yourself into the loving arms of your Heavenly Father, listen to His voice as you plant yourself in His Word and He will bring rest to your soul.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Jamie, this is beautiful. Thank you for sharing your heart:)