Which sounds more enjoyable - going on a journey with close friends or going solo? There are probably many who would defend both sides of that question. For me, however, I'd much rather set off on an adventure with someone to share in my quest. I believe it enhances the fun, the observations I make along the way and the depth to which that journey takes me and endures in my memories. Together, the challenges don't seem quite as fierce or insurmountable and the mountaintops take on even more color and brilliance because the joy is compounded.

In a similar way, my walk with God deepens when I share what I'm learning with others and in return, hear what God is revealing to them. It reminds me I'm not alone - both in the celebration of God's amazing attributes and in the doubt and worry that plague humanity.

I want this to be a sacred place where I can share what God is teaching me and hear from others who want nothing more than to know God personally. So, I welcome you to this site. Read. Comment. Question. Teach. For in doing this journey of faith in Jesus Christ together, I believe we gain the opportunity to know Him more fully and leave a little bit more conformed to His Image.

Sunday, May 16, 2010

What to do when you don't know what to do

"Counsel is mine, and sound wisdom; I am understanding." Proverbs 8:14

Are you seeking an answer to a question? Are you in need of wisdom and discernment? Are you wondering if the opinions you're receiving are sound? God clearly says that counsel, wisdom and understanding come from Him. His Word is relevant to any situation life can throw at you. Doesn't it stand to reason that if God is the only one who knows your future, it is Him from whom you should seek answers to your life's questions. God is never out of touch with our lives. It is us who are out of touch with God and what He longs to share with us through His Word. When was the last time you picked up your Bible just to soak in the truth and wisdom that it contains? When was the last time you came to God with a problem or a question instead of a trusted loved one or friend - even if they truly have your best interest at heart? When was the last time you relished hearing God's voice speak clearly and plainly to you about a situation you needed guidance on, and how did that propel your faith and relationship with God forward? It is truly amazing how the enemy attempts to keep us from God's Word all day long - through busyness, distraction, service, etc. He knows how powerful God's Word is in allowing us to hear His voice, follow in obedience and produce fruit for the kingdom. Jeremiah 10:23 says,
"O Lord, I know the way of man is not in himself; it is not in man who walks to direct his own steps." So how do we know where to go and what to do? Proverbs 3:5-6 answers that when it says, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths." So, here's what you do when you need to know what to do...look to God's W - O - R - D.

W- Wholeheartedly declare your trust in the Lord (claim promises from His Word about His trustworthy character - Ps. 18:18; Jer. 3:23; Ps. 18:2; Ps. 34:7, 17; Deut. 33:27; Heb. 13:6; Ps. 18:31-32; I Cor. 15:10)
O - Our understanding is faulty, look to God for understanding in His Word
R - Remember Him FIRST in anything you're dealing with.
D - He will direct your steps through His Word.

No comments: